"Gaddafi's days are numbered. We are working with our international partners through the UN to plan for the inevitable: a post-Gaddafi
"There have been numerous and continuing discussions by people close to Gaddafi and we are aware that those discussions include, among other matters, the potential for a transition," she said.
She gave no further details on the talks, other than to say "there is not any clear way forward yet".
Donors at the ICG meeting pledged more than $1.3bn to help support the National Transitional Council (NTC), the main body representing the Libyan rebels fighting against Gaddafi.
Italy and France offered a combined $1.02bn while Kuwait and Qatar promised a combined $280m to a fund set up to provide transparent assistance to the opposition.
This was despite
international community isn't going to let the TNC go under."
The Benghazi-based leadership has said it hopes to restart production of up to 100,000 barrels a day soon, without specifying a timeframe.
Shortage of funds
Abdurrahman Mohamed Shalgham, who defected from Gaddafi's government while he was the foreign minister, said the rebels needed $3bn to cover salaries and food costs for the next four months.
The total amount pledged, while significant, falls short of the $3bn the opposition group is demanding to survive for the next four months.
The rebels say that Gaddafi's assets frozen abroad, which are reportedly worth $160bn, should be made available to them.
Ali Tarhouni, the opposition finance minister, urged nations to allow the council to use the funds as collateral for loans.
"Our people are dying," he said.
"It's been almost four months now and nothing has materialised so far. Our message to our friends is that I hope that they walk the walk."
The number of countries recognising the rebel council is growing by each day. A day after
NATO continued its airstrikes on Thursday with bombing runs believed to have targeted the outskirts of
The intensity of the attacks suggested a return to NATO's heavy bombardment of the city on Tuesday that hit military installations across the capital and flattened major buildings in Gaddafi's sprawling compound at the centre of the city.
There were eight explosions in a first series of strikes on Thursday. Hours later, the sound of six more attacks boomed in the distance.
On Wednesday, Gaddafi forces renewed their shelling near the rebel-held western city of
"It is an example that the Gaddafi regime still constitutes a threat to the civilian population,'' he said. "We will stay committed as long as necessary."
Meanwhile, Gaddafi's regime on Thursday vehemently denied accusations by a UN panel and Western nations that Libyan government forces had committed crimes against humanity and war crimes.